The Pioneer DDJ-SX2 is an advanced performance DJ controller designed specifically for the Serato DJ Software. Pioneer’s DDJ-SX2 Serato based DJ controller utilizes the software as the basis for its configuration and ergonomic design, taking advantage of its features and integrating special trigger pads and controls. Pioneer also implemented larger jog wheels for precise mixing and scratching, multiple inputs for expandability, and 4-channel mixing flexibility.
Mixing with Serato
Sold as a complete system that includes the controller and new Serato DJ software, the DDJ-SX2 provides additional features to provide direct, tactile control of the software’s capabilities, which include a four deck sampler function, dual deck control, slip mode, FX mode and more.
- Dual Deck – The DDJ-SX2 enables two tracks to be controlled at the same time, allowing scratching or setting and recalling hot cues on both tracks as if they were performed on a single track.
- Slip Mode – While activated, Slip Mode silently continues song playback during a performance loop, scratch or hot cue and resumes audible playback when the loop, scratch, or hot cue operation is ended, creating smoother and more seamless transitions.
- FX Mode – Provides access to two types of effect modes, Multi FX and Single FX
- Multi FX Mode – Allows multiple effects to be applied simultaneously
- Single FX Mode – Allows a single effect to be controlled with numerous parameters
- Additional Functions
- Up to eight hot cue points can be set for each deck
- Vertical waveform display for fast tempo syncing
Customized Control Layout Works as Great as it Looks
The DDJ-SX2 can quickly access the multitude of features Serato DJ offers through its buttons, knobs, sliders and performance pads. Thoughtfully laid out to deliver the best DJ controller experience, its buttons and knobs are designed to match the applicable software functions perfectly:
- Performance Pads – Pioneer added eight “performance pads” located below the jog wheel for four different functionalities – HOT CUE, ROLL, SLICER and SAMPLER. Each soft-touch rubber pad illuminates in blue to enable users to quickly tap the pad(s) for each effect, with the output volume varying depending on the strength of each tap.
- Large Jog Wheels – The jog wheels on the DDJ-SX2 are enlarged for more precise scratching and mixing. The resistance for each jog wheel was fined tuned to provide users with the best “feel” and the shortest latency. The unit also features an “On Jog” display located on the center of each wheel to provide instantaneous visual feedback of playback status and the position of playing tracks.
- 4-Channel Mixer – The DDJ-SX2 features an independent 4-channel mixer that can be used with other external sources such as turntables. Its master level meter provides instantaneous sound level adjustment as well as independent output controls with a display indicator for each channel when used as a standalone mixer.
- Aluminum Finish – The DDJ-SX2 sports an aluminum top panel and a brushed aluminum finish for the jog wheels for optimal look and feel.
- Aluminum material used on top panel and JOG plate
- All buttons, knobs and soundcards feature “PLUG AND PLAY” with “Serato DJ”
- Cross fader curve can be adjusted to suit your preferences
- “FADER START function enables deck play/cue operation with fader operation
- NEEDLE SEARCH PAD enables immediate movement to the desired playback point simply by touching the pad
- SLIP MODE function continues to play music in the background while playing LOOP/SCRATCH/HOT CUE, etc.
- Handle space on both sides convenient for installation
- Amplified mic input circuit with clear sound and zero distortion even with a high input sound level.
- The TRAKTOR PRO 2 setting file will be released for supporting Native Instruments DJ software TRAKTOR PRO 2 after mid-September in the http://pioneerdj.com/support/.
- Serato Flip – A new function of “Serato DJ” that records and calls up a maximum of six orders and intervals (sequences) of HOT CUE operations.
Supports “Serato DJ” DVS* function and can even be used as a standalone 4-channel mixer
With four external inputs for connection of CD players, analog turntables and microphones, etc., mixing can be performed with without going via a PC/Mac, so the “DDJ-SX2” can even be used as a standalone mixer. There are also two MASTER OUT and one BOOTH OUT outputs for additional connection of various PA equipment. Furthermore, with support for the “Serato DJ” DVS function, a purchase of the separate “Serato DJ DVS Expansion Pack” it is possible to perform “Serato DJ” deck control with CDJs or analog turntables connected to the “DDJ-SX2”.